Yes, I said fried flowers. 😉 Did you know there are many healing properties associated with dandelion flowers, and even more associated with the dandelion greens?
The yellow flowers have many health benefits as they are a source of antioxidants. They are believed to relieve pain from headaches, backaches and menstrual cramps. They relieve stomach cramps and ease depression. WOW! The flowers also contain Vitamin A and Vitamin B12!
I think it’s time to fry some flowers. 😉
- approx. 20 dandelion flower heads, stalks and extraneous green parts removed
- olive oil/butter for frying (I use equal parts to cover the pan)
- 1/2 c cornmeal
- 1/2 c flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 c milk
- herbs, optional (I like a sprinkle of rosemary)
Remove as much green from the dandelion flower head as possible, while keeping the flower head intact, which are mild and faintly sweet.
- Rinse your dandelion flowers and gently pat dry using a paper towel.
- Place 2 T olive oil, 2 T butter in a frying pan over a medium heat
- Mix the flour/cornmeal with the salt and favorite herb
- Dip the flowers first in the beaten egg/milk mixture and then in the seasoned flour/cornmeal.
- Fry stalk side up. flip when golden, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper
Enjoy eating “crunchy sunshine nuggets” 😉