After the saga that was “giving up my dog”, it would be so wrong of me not to share the joy of her return. We weren’t allowed to adopt her back. Brutal system. It is what it is. There is no allowance for your life suddenly becoming “suitable”. It was a long road and almost a month of her being away from us, BUT she is back (miracle of all miracles). Home is now the RV and she loves it just as much as we do.
Things I’ve learned in this process.
- Being “out of sight” does not mean “out of mind”. What is in your heart is is your heart. No amount of root pulling or displacement changes that.
- You will sacrifice for what you love. You will.
- Dogs are people too. (Seriously, I know the difference between dogs and people), but…dogs are wonderful. I’m sure I heard Cola yelp “thank you for rescuing me!” It happened. She’s thankful.
- The idiosyncrasies and dynamics of your family may just be that you love a crazy, free-spirited dog. it’s ok. These are the things that make us who we are and how we process life. Our family loves a black, mixed-breed, free-spirited, loyal, never-leave-your-side rescue. She might have been rescued from the pound as a puppy, but let me tell you, to us, she is as special as the “high bred” expensive dog. Why? Because we belong together.
- Husbands can surprise you even after 26 years of marriage.